goodies-management

Jannis Pohlmann info at sten-net.de
Sat Aug 13 23:07:26 CEST 2005

Benedikt Meurer schrieb:
> Benedikt Meurer wrote:
>
>>Personally I think the 'goodies-manager' idea is a good point. I was
>>talking to nestu about this some time ago. The idea was to have a single
>>program, which downloads software descriptions from xfce.org (as XML
>>file), and provides the user with a list of applications to install,
>>tracking dependencies using pkg-config. That's pretty much what
>>InstallIt is all about, except that it procudes a single .bin file which
>>includes the installer instead of having a separate installer.
>>Personally, I'd really love to see an improved InstallIt for Xfce 4.4,
>>but I don't have time to work on it ATM. It'd be nice to transform it
>>into an installation manager, so we don't need to ship the installer
>>with every .bin file (it should therefore be rewritten in C or Python,
>>as Ruby+deps is very unlikely to be installed on a non-FreeBSD system).
>>
>>If somebody wants to work on this, just let me know and we can start to
>>work out a plan for the next generation Xfce installer.

Hi all.

I have been reading through this list constantly for about a year and
have used Xfce for about one and a half year until now. There were
always moments in which I thought about contributing but I never saw an
obvious possibility (German localizations are already maintained for
nearly everything, etc.).

I'm familiar with C++ (and Xfc/GTKmm) as well as Ruby and some other
things like XML parsing and stuff. Since I'm in high need of something
meaningful to do and always wanted to look further into GTK (with C) I'd
provide myself for working on (and maintaining) this project - if nobody
else absolutely wants to do it.

Of course, there are some complicated topics which would have to be
discussed (e.g. uninstalling or integration with package managers) but
Benedikt already did a lot of work for stuff like the Xfce installer,
this should be a good fundament.

Take care,
Jannis