[RFC]: Removal of the Xfce engiine/theme [WAS Re: default Xfce gtk theme]

Biju Chacko botsie at xfce.org
Fri Aug 5 16:21:57 CEST 2005

Olivier FOURDAN wrote:
> Hi Jasper;
>
> While I have no problem with the patch itself, the question I'm asking is do we really need the xfce theme/engine anymore?
>
> With gtk switching to clearlooks, I'm not quite sure the xfce engine is still relevant...
>
> Opinions, anyone?

I've been using Clearlooks for the last few months too and I rather like
it. OTOH, I do think that xfce engine is pretty neat and provides
certain functionality.

Also, having our own gtk engine means that we have a pretty good idea
what a default install of xfce is going to look like. If clearlooks is
assured to be installed with gtk then we can use it instead.

So:

if (clearlooks available by default) {
	if (maintainer available) {
		make_optional_dependency()
	} else {
		abandon()
	}
} else {
	keep()
}

:-)

-- b

PS: *Sigh*, that's the nearest I've gotten to writing code in months. :-(