Lightweight display manager

Tim Tassonis timtas at cubic.ch
Mon Apr 18 15:32:25 CEST 2005

On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 17:24:52 +0300
Ondrej Mihalyi <mihalyi at matfyz.cz> wrote:

> Only my two cents:
>
> If you don't know, how difficult is to program such complex thing as
login manager, don't ask for a custom one if there is already a good
choice (I mean gdm, what is wrong about it ? )

There is no good choice, sadly. Try looking out for display managers on
freshmeat, you won't find much.

If you ask "What's wrong with gdm?", you might as well ask, "Why XFce4,
what's wrong with Gnome?"

Some people (definitely including me) think Gnome is too bloated and the
same goes for Gdm, being dependent on all the Gnome libraries. I prefer to run
a system without a single Gnome or KDE/Qt library installed.

The downside with xdm for me is that it doesn't allow you to
shutdown/reboot the computer, so I'd really welcome the implemetation of
a new Display Manager.

Btw I don't think writing a display manager is all that hard, it depends
on the features you include. If you add face browsers, remote logins, multiple
session selection and all, it will get hairy of course, but for a start
it would be great to have a display manager featuring:

- The ability for local logins (using PAM)
- Calling .xsession in the user's home or the global xinitrc
- The possiblity to shutdown/halt if running on a local display

Then, features like remote logins might be added if the need is there.

> Second, if you want to have a really lightwight display manager and
want remove gdm, try adding command line
> if [ x"$DISPLAY" = x ]; then startxfce4; fi
>  into your .bashrc :)

If you don't know what a display manager is...

> I'm not XFCE developer but requests of this kind just irritate me.

It wasn't a request but an offer for help, as I read it. If that
irritates you...

Tim