Modifying the style of a standard window

damanseb at hotmail.com damanseb at hotmail.com
Sat Apr 16 23:27:31 CEST 2005

I'm working on some stuff in xfdesktop and was wondering if anybody
could give me some pointers on changing the the way certain things look.

Current situation:
A middle click on the desktop opens a popup menu for workspaces and apps.

New situation:
A middle click on the desktop open a window for workspaces and apps.

Currently the window that pops up looks like any regular window.

I would like to make the following changes for the looks of this window:
    The window titlebar and its buttons aren't drawn (window is hidden/destroyed when it looses focus like a normal popup menu)
    The window should inherit the regular window styles, like rounded window borders and window shadows when composite is enabled, from gtkrc.
    The window can be custom styled using gtkrc (example: widget "taskswitcher" style "taskswitcher")

In the end it should look something like the screenshot attached..

Also, if anybody could give me any advise or links pointing to information regarding building these apps, this would b very much appreciated.
I curently make .c files and test/run them with: gcc window.c -o window `pkg-config --cflags --libs gtk+-2.0`
But this way i've not been able to include other files like
#include <libxfcegui4/session-client.h>
#include <libxfcegui4/netk-util.h>
to get composite and shadows and other things working..

Thanks!

Best regards,

Sebastiaan