panel development update

Ori Bernstein rand_chars at rogers.com
Fri Apr 15 22:47:18 CEST 2005

On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 12:56:15 +0200
Jasper Huijsmans <jasper at xfce.org> said:

> Progress on the design for the 4.4 panel has been a bit slow, because I don't
> have much time. Apart from the plugin design I need to think hard about the
> user interfaces that are needed to properly use and configure the new
> features, especially access to configuration for multiple panels (possibly on
> multiple monitors)

I think the best way of handling this is simply letting the user drag the panel
around, esp. between monitors, and completely getting rid of
position/orientation controls in the panel - let that be a function of which
edge of the monitor the panel is on. I had started on a patch for this for the
[cvs] iconbox, but since it seems like it will be a panel plugin (IMO better
than a standalone) I think this one patch will die.

> customizating panel contents

The way it's currently done seems quite good, possibly with the following
additions: categories, and an "add application launcher" button, that uses the
app-finder application to add the launcher, rather than trying to search for the
command and the icon.

> and the interaction with MCS
> settings. Ideas and suggestions are welcome, send them to me or, even better,
> add them to the wiki.

Probably will do that sometime over this weekend.

--
Alimony is a system by which, when two people make a mistake, one of
them keeps paying for it.