panel development update

Jasper Huijsmans jasper at xfce.org
Fri Apr 15 14:26:20 CEST 2005

On Fri, Jul 15, 2005 at 10:27:02PM +1000, Jeff Franks wrote:
> Jasper Huijsmans wrote:
>
> >[snip]
> >Progress on the design for the 4.4 panel has been a bit slow, because I
> >don't
> >have much time. Apart from the plugin design I need to think hard about the
> >user interfaces that are needed to properly use and configure the new
> >features, especially access to configuration for multiple panels (possibly
> >on
> >multiple monitors), customizating panel contents and the interaction with
> >MCS settings. Ideas and suggestions are welcome, send them to me or, even
> >better, add them to the wiki.
> >

> Jasper, are you planning to, make lil'IconBox a panel plugin.

Yes. Panel, taskbar and (rewritten) iconbox are currently still separate
entities in the panel sources, but the idea is to simply make them
instances of the panel.

Also, keeping them separate for now allows me to play around with different
kind of behaviour and compare them directly.

Supporting multiple panels requires a big rewrite of panel internals
(all kinds of assumptions are no longer valid, global variables must be
removed, etc.), so it will be a while...

	Jasper