panel development update

Jasper Huijsmans jasper at xfce.org
Fri Apr 15 12:56:15 CEST 2005

Hi,

People seem to be rather busy with other stuff at the moment -- except
Mickaël and Juha; keep up the good work, guys! Anyway, I finally added
something to the panel again, so here's an update.

First of all, drawing of the new panel widget should now be flawless, no more
strange edges or missing borders. Please let me know if you still see
something wrong with the latests svn code.

Secondly, I decided to make a bit better use of the new panel widget and added
an option to make the panel full width. At the same time I added two plugins
that can make use of this feature: a tasklist plugin and a flexible space
plugin; both will expand with the panel.

I also have been experimenting a little with creating out-of-process plugins
using GtkPlug/GtkSocket. It seems to work nicely. I also tested a customize
mode; this makes it easy to drag items around, even when they are external
plugins. No code to show you yet though.

Progress on the design for the 4.4 panel has been a bit slow, because I don't
have much time. Apart from the plugin design I need to think hard about the
user interfaces that are needed to properly use and configure the new
features, especially access to configuration for multiple panels (possibly on
multiple monitors), customizating panel contents and the interaction with MCS
settings. Ideas and suggestions are welcome, send them to me or, even better,
add them to the wiki.

That's all for now ;-)

	Jasper