Xfce Development - Suggestions

Jannis Pohlmann info at sten-net.de
Sun Apr 10 21:03:35 CEST 2005

raz0 at tiscali.dk schrieb:

>Hi,
>
>I am a Xfce user since 4.0 and have enjoyed using it so far. I do, however,
>have a few suggestions to make even Xfce better. I don't know if this has
>been mentioned before, and this might just be a totally inappropriate place
>to ask it. If it is though, I apologise.
>
>The current release of Xfce (4.2.x) has three kinds of bars.
>
>a) The panel on which you can load all sorts of plugins.
>b) The taskbar which shows running programs.
>c) The iconbox; same as the taskbar but with another look.
>
>According to http://blog.xfce.org/index.php?p=93, you are already working
>on collapsing these three units into one unified and flexible bar. This
>is great since it is a step towards what I've wanted to suggest for quite
>some time now.
>
>You see, back when I was still using Windows exclusively I used a shell
>called Geoshell [geoshell.org]. It builds on the principle of so-called
>Geobars, quite similar to what the panel is now actually. Instead of the
>limitation of just one bar (or panel) you could load as many bars as you
>felt like and stuff them with all sorts of great plugins. These bars were
>both skinable and highly customizable. You could also customize them both
>individually and globally. Unfortunately Geoshell built on an old and buggy
>codebase, so there were *some* limitations.
>
>Now that I've switched to linux I naturally chose Xfce since it's goals
>are close are quite similar to the goals of Geoshell; namely minimalism
>and sort-of bars. :) For a better explanation take a look at http://www.k23productions.com/eggshell/
>- Eggshell is also a Windows shell, though I don't think that it's been
>a released yet. The page sums up quite well what I think Xfce should be
>moving towards though. All of this is in my humble oppinion of course. :)
>
>Best regards,
>Morten Bojsen-Hansen

Hi Morten.

Although I'm not one of the developers I follow the mailing list every
single day.

In order to turn this topic into a productive one, I'd kindly like to
ask you what your suggestions are.

You summed up the reasons for you to choose Xfce and agreed with the
idea of a new panel combining
the current implementations (taskbar, panel, iconbox). The idea of being
able to load more than one panel
is not new and is kind of intended for Xfce 4.4 as far as I know. All
parts of Xfce are skinnable already and
various plugins for the panel exist, too.

You told us of various suggestions you'd like to make ... Which ones?

Kind regards,
Jannis