ANNOUNCEMENT: xfweb project

Biju Chacko botsie at xfce.org
Fri Apr 1 11:35:57 CEST 2005

Hi,

I just wanted to announce the launching of the xfweb project. xfweb
seeks to build a web browser that integrates well with the xfce desktop.

The project goals will be:

1) Provide integrated webbrowsing, email, calendar management and p2p
file sharing in a single lightweight application.

2) Extensibility with plugins written in easy scripting languages.

3) Ease of use as well as a high degree of configurability and
customisability.

4) Strict adherence to relevant standards with useful entensions where
necessary.

5) Planned toolkit: XFC

6) Planned render engine: khtml.

The core of the new browser will be a high performance language neutral
scripting engine. All functionality will be implemented as either
scripts or extension libraries to this scripting engines. Existing
infrastructure like rendering engines and GUI toolkits will be
integrated using script engine extensions which wrap around libraries.

The scripting engine will most likely be parrot although I'm also
evaluating how mono could be used. Initially Perl, Python and Lisp will
be targeted as supported scripting languages. Lisp, of course will be
the number one priority as that would open up a huge existing collection
of Emacs scripts that could be ported to the new browser.

In version 2 we will be adding support for Ruby, PHP, Lua and BF as
scripting languages.

Please note that xfweb is just an initial working title. Suggestions for
better names will be welcome.

The xfweb project will be moving to it's own domain shortly. In the
meanwhile http://puggy.symonds.net/~botsie/xfweb will contain news updates.

thanks,

-- b