xfwm: support for 2d pagers

Brian J. Tarricone bjt23 at cornell.edu
Fri Sep 24 21:46:27 CEST 2004

On 09/24/04 11:05, Paramjit Oberoi wrote:
> > It is not clear what, if any, changes are required to scroll wheel
> > scrolling.
>
> OK, now that I am more fully awake:
>
> *  If the mouse has 2 scroll wheels: one scrolls vertically, one
>    horizontally.
>
> *  Just one wheel scrolls vertically; hotkey+wheel scrolls horizontally
>    (or the other way around, depending on your inclincation).  I guess
>    there can be two config vars - vert_scroll_modifier &
>    horz_scroll_modifier, and one of them would be allowed to be null.

yuck.  this means you're changing a current behavior, since scrolling with
a single mousewheel has always scrolled horizontally.  does anyone even
have a mouse with two scroll wheels?  i've never heard of such a thing.  but
yeah, if it's configurable, i guess it's ok.

a couple other ideas:

* a single scroll wheel scrolls horizontally, but when you get to the
  rightmost (or leftmost) workspace, you wrap to the leftmost (rightmost)
  workspace in the next (previous) row.

* scroll horizontally, but only in the current row.  if we're doing wrapping,
  just wrap back to the WS on the opposite side, same row.

i think i'm in favor of the first of my two ideas.  i also think that making
this too configurable is starting to walk down the road of featuritis.
it's fine to support the case for two scroll wheels and do whatever seems
to make sense when you take the physical orientation of the wheels into
account.  but for the single-wheel case, i think we need to pick a good
default, maybe _one_ alternative, and stick with that.  if the default
picked is a good one, then it's fine to have the alternative a hidden pref
(obviously it has to be, since we're in string freeze, but i mean for the
long term).

	-brian