[patch] Forward scroll and unused button events to the window manager

Brian J. Tarricone bjt23 at cornell.edu
Fri Sep 24 00:02:50 CEST 2004

On 09/23/04 21:16, Nils Rennebarth wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I implemented Olivers advice to make xfdesktop forward scrolls and
> unused button presses/releases that have been caught by its virtual root
> to the real root window (i.e. the window manager).
>
> That makes it possible to remove the "workspace switch by scroll on
> background" feature from the xfdesktop implementation and solely rely on
> the window manager to implement it.
>
> Together with my other patch from yesterday, said feature is now
> optional and enabled by default.
>
> Patch against current CVS attached. Works here, but I may have missed
> some finer points.

the problem with this is that, if a user is using another WM with xfce, the
scrolling stops working.  that's not acceptable to me.  i haven't been
following the xfwm4 patch, but if there's a hidden pref in there for
disabling the root windows scrolling, i'd rather see xfdesktop use that as a
basis for whether or not to foward the events.  or just disable/drop them.

on a side note, xfdesktop _should_ be forwarding any unused clicks to the WM,
so i'd like to incorporate some version of your code.

also, would gdk_event_put() (or gdk_display_put_event()) work?  i'd much
rather use GDK rather than xlib if the same functionality is available.  if
it's not, that's fine.

	-brian