Release Process

Biju Chacko botsie at xfce.org
Wed Sep 22 08:18:34 CEST 2004

This is the kind of timeline that I feel would be ideal:

Sep 27: pre1
Oct 11: pre2
Oct 25: pre3
Nov  1: 4.2
.
.
.
Dec  20: 4.4pre1
Jan  03: 4.4pre2
Jan  17: 4.4pre3
Jan  31: 4.4

A new stable release every 3 months would be very difficult unless we
have a clear change in mindset. We need to reduce the importance of each
stable release. Hence there is no need to cram all the new features into
  the next release. Cool stuff like the compositor can be postponed
safely, since we *know* that it would be released in three months.
Feature additions could be planned to meet a specific release. If, for
example, Jasper wants to widget-ize the panel and he feels that it
cannot be managed in the 3 month gap between 4.2 and 4.4 he could carry
forward the previous stable version and release the widgetized version
in 4.6.

The exact timeline can be open to debate, but I think we need more
structure in our release process.

What do you think?

-- b