xfwm: support for 2d pagers

Jasper Huijsmans jasper at xfce.org
Mon Sep 20 10:07:26 CEST 2004

On Mon, Sep 20, 2004 at 01:50:38AM -0500, Paramjit Oberoi wrote:
> xfwm4 currently does not support 2d pagers very well: i.e., say that
> your desktop pager/switcher displays 8 virtual desktops in 2 rows, 4
> columns.  It is natural in this situation to want to move the virtual
> desktop up/down/left/right.  However, xfwm only supports moving to the
> next/previous desktop.  (the xfce pager doesn't support multiple rows;
> I am using xfwm with GNOME, as a replacement for metacity)
>
> According to the NetWM specification, pagers can communicate the layout
> of the virtual desktops using the _NET_DESKTOP_LAYOUT property.  This
> property is described in detail here:
> http://freedesktop.org/Standards/wm-spec/1.3/ar01s03.html#id2503159
>
> Attached to this email is a patch that adds support for this to xfwm.
> The patch is against the current CVS head (I think).  Here's a summary
> of the changes:

Wow, nice. With patch and explanation. It's up to Olivier to decide, but I
think it would be good to support this and it doesn't seem to impact anything
else.

One question: does this involve any string changes? In the shortcut editor
perhaps? If so, there is a small problem with the string freeze. However, IMO
the patch is nice enough to allow a break in the string freeze (sorry
translators), especially since we're only at the start of the alpha/beta
cycle.

Another thing is that hidden options, like wrap workspaces, should go in
xfwm4rc, the mcs dialog's file should never be edited manually.

Thanks,
	Jasper