Compositor status

Jasper Huijsmans jasper at xfce.org
Sun Sep 19 22:50:35 CEST 2004

Erik Harrison wrote:
> On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 18:50:10 +0200, Olivier Fourdan <fourdan at xfce.org> wrote:
>
>>On Sun, 2004-09-19 at 18:47, Jens Luedicke wrote:
>>
>>>I don't get that. Yes, 4.2 took a long time to develop, but why not speed
>>>up the release cycle? I'm much of a dev myself, so my word hasn't much
>>>weight.
>>
>>Because we don't have the resources. All of us do as much as we can,
>>with our spare time.
>

> How can I help? I'm not much of a C programmer[*], but I'm trying to
> learn, so maybe this could be something to cut my teeth on. It would
> be easier for me if there was a clear list of things that _have_ to
> get done, little tasks to start familiarizing myself with the
> codebase.

Yeah, this is currently very hard. We don't have anything like that.

I would like the new bugzilla to be used more for this if possible.
Perhaps mark some things as "easy-fix" to allow others to step in and
send patches.

For now, here's what you could do. First you have to run the latest CVS,
that's where all development happens. Then you can try to see if you
find some things are broken or missing, just try to break things (and
fix them afterwards ;-). You could also have a look at bugs.xfce.org to
see if there are bugs that you may be able to fix. That's about all I
can tell you. It's best to try and do what you are most interested in.

	Jasper