bug tracker improvements

Auke Kok sofar at lunar-linux.org
Fri Sep 17 23:14:29 CEST 2004

okay read all the way to the end you will see the light...

Brian J. Tarricone wrote:

> http://bugs.gentoo.org/ shows a good example of a nice designed bugzilla
>
>><twocents>
>>personally I think bugzilla is a piece of [4 letter word removed to
>>protect women and children] that is horribly overrated. Simplicity works
>>much better for a developersgroup which is below 15-20 developers.
>></twocents>
>>

>i happen to disagree here.

*BITE*

cmon you have a sysadmin that manages LUNAR LINUX and you point to
GHETTO's bugtracker...

shees...

>  i find bugzilla incredibly useful and easy to
>use, both from a developer and user standpoint.  i can't really put my finger
>on it exactly, but i don't really like how mantis handles bug status.  i also
>don't really like the default "all bugs" look, and using a mailing list to
>keep up with new bugs is kinda stupid, IMHO.  the bug reporter should be
>responsible for directing the bug to the right person, by selecting the
>component where they're seeing the bug.  if they can't identify that, a
>designated bug triage person (i wouldn't mind doing this) gets notified, and
>assigns the bug to the proper person.  or the default email address for the
>triage person can be a mailing list, whatever.

including the 16! ways to compile it with USE flags right :^PPP

>xfce is growing in complexity, and i expect that we'll probably start to see
>a much larger volume of bugs after our 4.2 preview release, and this probably
>won't let up until 4.2.1, at the earliest.  i have a bad feeling that, if we
>stick with mantis, it's going to start to get very difficult to keep up with
>new bugs.

this was my only real point. you are XFCE, not GENTOO, you have 10
ACTIVE DEVELOPERS, not 10.000. (plus one BOFH who refuses to follow
gentoo into trouble and uses his own common sense to guide him).

>i don't mind adminning a bugzilla install.  i can do all the customisation,
>creating some simple convenince queries, etc.  from playing around with it,
>it seems like it's come a long way from auke's bad experience with it.

Never said that I would NOT install it for you, as a matter of fact I
asked you politely to go check it out and gave you an honest opinion
about my previous finds.

>ultimately, i suppose it's up to olivier.  jasper already seems to be in
>favor of it.  what do the others think?

I'm all for it, I sense you guys are mad enough to go on with this. if
Brian can handle an empty database with username and password on
espresso and set it up in ~kelnos/public_html/bugzilla for now we can
move it later to /var/www/bugs.xfce.org/ if it runs and works.

[ seriously now... after having moved the server and not being done with
it I am just not trigger happy to jump into new problems... I hope you
can understand this... as a matter of fact I spent about an hour a day
average still every day this week with migration issues ]

sofar

[ still not back to squashing lunar bugs yet ]