Supporting Base Dir Spec

Brian J. Tarricone bjt23 at cornell.edu
Thu Sep 9 21:17:20 CEST 2004

On 09/09/04 15:31, Jasper Huijsmans wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 09, 2004 at 02:32:10PM +0200, Benedikt Meurer wrote:
> > Brian J. Tarricone wrote:

> > >yeah, xfce4-session is using ~/.config and ~/.cache, and xfdesktop is using
> > >~/.cache for the menu cache.  pretty trivial to change xfdesktop, dunno
> > >about
> > >the session manager (/me pokes benny).
> >
> > Ehm, do you want me to change xfce4-session to not use XDG basedir spec,
> > or do I miss your point here?
> >

> I believe that was the idea.
>
> However...
>
> if Olivier can write a compositor for xfwm4 in two weeks, we for sure should
> be able to use the new locations in all modules, right? ;-)
>
> I mean this isn't exactly rocket science...
>
> Olivier, do you have any objections to me trying to get this done now? I don't
> really mind, but it's just something I'd like to have.

i'm in favor of this as well, though the problem remains of making sure the
users' old settings get migrated.  the original plan was to run a script on
startup, perhaps via the session manager, or something.  i'm thinking maybe
it might be a better idea to do that in each of the apps themselves.  i can
probably whip up a quick generic function to move settings files and
directories such that all everyone has to do is paste it in their main.c and
fill in a static array (or 2) of things to move.  i tend to think that a script
is easier, but something like this might be more reliable.  we can leave it in
through the life of 4.2, and take it out in the 4.3 cycle (or, if it's needed
again, use it).  thoughts?

	-b