Reminder: Beta 2 this WE

Brian J. Tarricone bjt23 at cornell.edu
Fri Oct 29 10:22:26 CEST 2004

hi all,

devs: a reminder - please update your modules' version numbers to
4.1.91, and it's also a good practice to make it depend on 4.1.91 of all
the xfce foundation libs/packages if applicable.  also, please autogen,
and commit _all_ the changed files.  i think some of our missing .so
suffix lib problems were due to files in our trees generated from
multiple autotool versions.  i know we have "official" tools versions,
but as long as you're using autoconf 2.59, automake 1.8.x, and libtool
1.5.2+, stuff should work ok.

hehe, i just noticed that the NEWS file in xfdesktop hasn't been updated
in over a year!

speaking of pending fixes, i've been unable to track down or reproduce
the crashing taskbar problem.  olivier, you think the reorg commit you
made this afternoon might have accidentally fixed it?

everyone else: if you use xftaskbar4, please help in trying to reproduce
this bug.  update to the latest CVS of libxfcegui4 and xfce-utils, and
recompile both of them passing --enable-debug=yes to the configure
script.  then open a terminal on a desktop in the corner where you won't
bother it and do this:

$ rm core core.*
$ ulimit -c unlimited
$ killall xftaskbar4
$ xftaskbar4

then minimise the window and leave it alone.  if the taskbar ever
disappears on you, go back to this terminal, and see if it dumped a core
file.  it might just be called "core", or it might have the process ID
of the taskbar appended to it it (i.e., "core.$PID").  if you have one
of these files, do this:

$ gdb xtaskbar4 core      #or use core.$PID, if necessary
[will print stuff]
(gdb) bt
[will print more stuff, *copy and paste this into an email and send it
to the xfce4-dev list!*]
(gdb) quit
[quits back to shell prompt]

if you can do this, and you get a core file and a backtrace out of it
that we can use to fix the bug, you will have my eternal gratitude.  the
more people we have doing this, the better the chance that someone will
be able to reproduce the bug and get us some useful info, so the more
people that can do this, the better.

thanks,
brian