xfdesktop menu editor issues

Brian J. Tarricone bjt23 at cornell.edu
Thu Oct 21 23:59:10 CEST 2004

On 10/21/04 13:09, Nikolas Arend wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> is it correct, that there's no way to change in a hidden directory
> (.config/ e.g.) from the menu editor gui?
> If so, that might confuse users. I can of course always start it from
> the console and pass the respective file as an argument,
> but maybe there should be an option "Show hidden" or so, like in xffm.

i'm not remembering properly, but if menueditor is using XfceFileChooser,
then if you have gtk-2.2 installed, you should be able to tab-complete
directories in the entry box (so if you type ~/.config<tab> in the box,
it'll jump to that dir).  if you have gtk-2.4, you can either type
ctrl-L to bring up an entry box, or with more recent versions of 2.4.x
(maybe 2.4.4 or later?), you can right click in the file list and select
"show hidden files" from the menu that pops up.  this isn't an xfce thing,
but a gtk thing.  nothing we can do about it without reinventing several
wheels.

> Next question is, if there is any way to add a "Lock screen" entry (like
> the one from the panel System buttons) to the xfdesktop
> menu? One can add a "Quit" button, but "Lock screen" does not seem to be
> provided by the menu editor. But I guess that is
> something for the time after the 4.2 release?!

nope, "quit" is the only builtin, but "lock" sounds like a nice feature
for 4.4.  if you don't mind, file an "enhancement" on bugs.xfce.org.
in the meantime, you can just add to the menu file a normal command:
check out the command options for xscreensaver-command to figure out
how to activate it from the commandline.  if you're using xlock or
something like that, i'm sure you can do something similar.

	-brian