Xinerama and Compose, Screen Placement Issues, other small things...

Rob Smith kormoc at gmail.com
Tue Oct 19 11:23:28 CEST 2004

Hi guys,
I was wondering if anyone else was having problems with Xinerama and
Compose? It seems like it's a problem with Xorg, but I wanted a
offical word on it if I may. When I start up with the Compose
extention enabled, my second monitor is on the left half, just
garbage, and on the primary monitor, I don't see any windows, just the
shadows. I'm using a GeForce FX 5800, and it works fine without the
extention enabled, just no lovely GFX :)

Also, I've noticed some apps are having screen placement issues, as
you can see here:
http://kormoc.homelinux.org:8080/~kormoc/placement.jpg
The picture window is raised up from the bottom and the titlebar is
above the screen. It appears to be moved up as high as the task bar
is, so it might be just a miscalc somewhere? The image in question is
viewed using kuickshow. It's rather annoying cause I can't move the
window down or anything.

I've also wondered if there's a way to have a second panel and taskbar
on the second xinerama screen and have it different then the one on
the primary screen, if not, that would be a nice feature.

Also, I noticed that the software is not using ~/.config and ~/.cache
for files, is that going to change once there's a final release?
Because that seems rather iffy, no offence. You never know what other
programs might use them.

Hrm, one more thing. It would be nice to impliment something like
~/.xfce4/autostart or similar, and have it just run any program found
in there. It would be a lot simplier then dealing with xinitrc files
(gah, giving me headaches, no matter what I put in there, it won't
work! :P) and be a lot easier to explain to users :)

Well, thanks for taking the time to listen :)
~Rob