Rodent and png icons

Brian J. Tarricone bjt23 at cornell.edu
Mon Oct 18 20:34:04 CEST 2004

On 10/18/04 19:59, Jasper Huijsmans wrote:

> I want to get my icons if I chose another theme, as well. For that it
> has to be in hicolor (fallback location).
>
> So, we either lookup icons in ${prefix}/share/icons/hicolor, regardless
> of whether there is a proper index file (not pretty), or we use another
> fallback location and look there, if all else fails. Those seem to me
> the only options; any other ideas?

actually, libxfcegui4 installs an index.theme file for hicolor if it notices
you don't have one installed.  i propose we move all the settings icons
to xfce4-icon-theme, and install them to hicolor, of course.

for deps, we have two options:
1) install a .pc file.  this is kinda lame, but really, it'll work, and i
can't think of any reasons not to do it, aside from "it's kinda lame".
2) do nothing, and include in RPM .spec files and whatnot a dependency on
the package.  for other packaging systems, this means relying on the
packager to add the dependency.  if they don't we get spurious bug reports,
which is a pain.

so i'm in favor of #1.

> >The hacky way (IMO) would be during install have libxfcegui4, or
> >libxfce4util check the hicolor directory for the existance of the
> >icons.theme file and fix it if incorrect or missing.

oh, heh.  didn't get here.  yeah.  libgui does this

> >Then go ahead and
> >let each module put the necessary Rodent theme icons there. If the
> >Rodent theme is installed, this will be bloat, because the Rodent theme
> >is used first, being the default.

this is icky.

	-b