Rodent and png icons

Brian J. Tarricone bjt23 at cornell.edu
Mon Oct 18 01:31:38 CEST 2004

edscott wilson garcia wrote:

>El dom, 17-10-2004 a las 04:20, Brian J. Tarricone escribió:
>

>>edscott,
>>
>>after updating my libxfcegui4, xfdesktop can't find a bunch of icons
>>that it used to be able to find.  please either fix the XfceIconTheme
>>changes you made, or revert them.
>>

>The only difference I can see is whether is should take the first or
>last svg match found. I now commit another change so the first one (as
>before) is taken. Otherwise something else is broken. All xfdesktop
>icons (button 2) show correctly here. Remember that you must update the
>Rodent theme (if applicable).

i'm not sure i'm following you: why should i need to update rodent?
it's still looking for the same icon names that it was looking for before.

>BTW, with no intent to offend or flame, XfceIconTheme should work for
>all xfce components, not only xfdesktop. So fixes should be made to
>work, not abandoned. Please excuse me if you interpret my point of view
>in a negative way. The comment is made in the most positive way.

agreed, but the work you've been doing on it the past few days aren't
really "fixes": they're "optimisations".  IIRC, it worked just fine
before, but the idea was to make it a little faster by preferring
correctly-sized .png images over .svg images since .png images render
faster.  sure, i'd love for this to work properly, but if not, i'd
prefer the old behavior: slower, but at least correct.

>If you still cannot render icons with xfdesktop after updating now,
>please let me know *what* icons you cannot see. In the interest of team
>work, "fix XfceIconTheme" has no meaning if the problem is not specified
>(ever been annoyed by a "xxx doesn't work" bug report with no further
>information?)

ok, i'll update xfce4-icon-theme, but first, the icons that aren't
rendering:
xfce4-mixer
xfce4-panel
xfce4-splash
xfwm4
xfce4-workspaces
now i'll update xfce4-icon-theme and libxfcegui4, and....  those same
icons are still missing.  also, i don't know how long this has been a
problem (i know it wasn't a problem before), but now most of the icons
in the menu are missing if i only rely on the icon theme being installed
to /opt/xfce4-cvs/share/icons/.  this worked before.  if i put Rodent in
~/.icons/, most of the icons are back, except for the icons i've listed
above.

the icons that are missing don't appear to be in the rodent theme:
they're in "hicolor".  it appears that the hicolor fallback is broken
(or at least somewhat broken), which was not the case before.  note that
i have both:
/opt/xfce4-cvs/share/icons/hicolor/48x48/apps/xfwm4.svg
/opt/xfce4-cvs/share/icons/hicolor/48x48/apps/xfwm4.png
this is of course wrong - i'm not sure who set up the pixmap installs,
but the .xvg icon should be going to scalable/apps/.  either way, it
worked before, so this isn't the problem.

so, to summarise:
* before your changes, everything worked fine.
* now, the icons i've listed above are missing, even after updating
libxfcegui4 and xfce4-icon-theme (about 4:30pm PDT, sunday).  they are
present in the hicolor theme, installed to xfce's $prefix (which is not
a system prefix).
* at least one of the .svg icons for the settings manager is installed
to the wrong location.  i'll look into fixing this one.
* bottom line:  if you can get the "prefer .png over .svg" code to work,
that's great.  i think it's a useful change, and a good optimisation
that doesn't reduce quality.  if you can't fix it, i want it reverted.

    -brian