Proposal: An Xfce C++ language binding for GTK+

Jeff Franks jcf at tpg.com.au
Fri Oct 8 03:12:52 CEST 2004

Proposal: An Xfce C++ language binding for GTK+
From: Jeff Franks.

To Xfce4 Developers,

I have a proposal I have been thinking about making to you for some
time. I would like to offer you an Xfce C++ language binding for GTK+,
if you are interested. There have been vague mentions in the past of
extending Xfce to become a development platform. The latest was in
benedikt's webblog dated 2/2/2004. I am not proposing you rewrite Xfce
in C++. What I am suggesting is that you consider including as a part of
the Xfce Desktop Environment an Xfce C++ language binding for GTK+. This
would give Xfce a development platform and would provide Xfce users with
a convenient and easier way to write Xfce and GTK+ applications.

I have a C++ language binding for GTK+ that I have been writing for the
past five years. Initally developed under the name "GCode", then "Inti"
(post Havoc of course) and now released under the name GTK+ Foundation
Classes (GFC). GFC is a complete rewrite of the Inti source code base
and is a wrapper for GLIB/GTK+ only. The latest version of GFC has two
libraries: GFC-Core and GFC-UI. GFC-Core wraps GLib and GFC-UI wraps
ATK, GDK, GTK and Pango. GFC is very stable and has a new virtual signal
system that has been optimized for size and speed. As a result GFC can
produce binaries that are smaller and faster than any comparable Gtkmm
progam. GFC's only dependancies are GTK+, Libsigc++ and GCC 3.2 or
higher. The current development release for GTK+ 2.4 is version 2.3.1.
The binding's source code is complete, albeit for any unforseen bugs.
Currently I am working on updating and improving the reference and
tutorial documentation, and had planned to release version 2.4.0 when
this is complete.

I have worked hard at developing GFC and do not want to see it go to
waste. I realized from the outset that if my binding was to have any
chance at survival it would have to become part of a larger project. It
was just a matter of timing, and now that I have a solid source base to
offer the time is right. Previously Inti managed about 500 downloads,
and the between SoureForge and GnomeFiles the second GFC developement
release 5 weeks ago managed about 120. That is not a big user base and
after 5 years I need some new motivation to continue development.
Becoming part of Xfce would provide that motivation. It would give me
the opportunity to work as part of a larger development team and my
binding would gain wider exposure and use.

My proposal has no hidden agenda and makes no demands. I am prepared to
re-badge the GFC libraries GFC-Core and GFC-UI, Xfce-Core and Xfce-UI,
or Xfce-GLib and Xfce-GTK or whatever, and to maintain them for you. I
am also be prepared to make any changes you feel necessary and could
have Xfce versions of the libraries available sooner rather than later.

If any of you would like to check out exactly what is on offer have a
look at the GFC web site http://gfc.sourceforge.net. If you would like
to consider my proposal I will be happy to discuss GFC with you in more
detail.

Regards,
Jeff Franks.