Latest Fedora Xorg and the compositor

Danny Milosavljevic danny.milo at gmx.net
Tue Oct 5 21:40:50 CEST 2004

Hi,

Am Dienstag, den 05.10.2004, 21:31 +0200 schrieb Nikolas Arend:
> Olivier Fourdan wrote:
>
> >On Tue, 2004-10-05 at 12:53 +0200, Nikolas Arend wrote:
> >

> >>Thanks for the reply, but
> >>
> >>1. I don't have a NVidia card :-(
> >>2. I did read the COMPOSITOR file (and all the others ;-)
> >>3. Unfortunately you didn't answer my actual question about how to
> >>    configure the desktop look'n'feel using the compositor ;-)
> >>
> >>If your time permits, I'd appreciate a short post on that.
> >>

> >The compositor is inherently slow unless hw accelerated, because the
> >screen is rendered off screen, within a pixmap and copied on screen
> >afterwards (thus the name, compositor -I think- as the screen is
> >composed).
> >
> >I don't have any simple answer to your problem. All I can say is that I
> >run the compositor on my PIII 1.1GHz laptop with a Trident video card
> >(ie it's not a very fast computer) by disabling opaque move/resize.
> >
> >Making the shadow optional wouldn't help much. From my own testing, that
> >doesn't speed up things that much...
> >

> Thanks for getting back,
>
> although my main question was not about speed, I will check the hardware
> acceleration of my card (ATI Radeon).
> I understand from your mail that the compositor is not actually
> configurable itself but only sort of a link between X and the desktop/
> window manager in the sense of "composing" what features X is providing.
> So to change the look'n'feel of the desktop (transparencies,
> shadows, support for accessibility applications, etc) I would have to
> modify the X server settings, is that correct? Or do the applications

I'm barging in, but here is what I think it is like ;)

server settings: only to turn it on or off completely.

> must make use of and support the new xorg features natively (and if they
> don't I won't see those)?

yes.
There are two ways afaik,
1) there is a new RGBA pixel model that apps can use and set
red,green,blue and alpha transparency per pixel
2) there is a new property to be set on windows to set their overall
transparency, kinda as a shortcut

there is an app called "transset" that makes use of 2), but if you want
more sophisticated alpha blending (i.e. non-uniform over the surface of
the window), the app needs to paint it.

Hope that helps

cheers,
   Danny