xffm fails to build on Fedora Core 3 test 3

Randy Chung aoshi at OCF.Berkeley.EDU
Mon Oct 4 10:53:54 CEST 2004

It's actually not the runtime environment, but the linker that breaks
things.  It's come up on the ML before (I remember having a discussion
about it a month or few back), where dbh's library path gets included
before LD_FLAGS.  This breaks in systems where your install path for
Xfce-stable and dbh are the same, but Xfce-beta is different, e.g. on my
system:

Xfce-stable + dbh are in /usr
Xfce-beta is in /usr/local

because some programs then link against the libxfce4util library you
have in /usr/lib instead of the shiny new one you just installed in
/usr/local/lib.  There might be some other libraries that are
incorrectly linked against as well, but this is the one I've had the
most run-ins with.

It took some hacking of the configure scripts to get it to do what I
wanted it to, but I'm not sure it's exactly a good solution.  Basically,
what I've done is manually add my /usr/local prefix to the auto*
scripts, so that the correct libxfce* libraries are linked in.  This
works on my system because the only thing I have in /usr/local is
Xfce-beta, so there's no worry about accidentally linking in a broken
dbh that's in /usr/local/ instead of a working one from /usr.  It's kind
of a mess and hard for me to describe without taking up more space, but
hopefully this kind of gets the idea across :)

--

Randy