Starting/stopping xfce components

Benedikt Meurer benedikt.meurer at unix-ag.uni-siegen.de
Sat Nov 20 14:41:25 CET 2004

Jasper Huijsmans wrote:
> Benedikt Meurer wrote:
>
>> Jasper Huijsmans wrote:
>>
>>> Hey all,
>>>
>>> I wish I had thought of this before, but it would be nice for users
>>> to have an easy way to start or stop desktop components. Something
>>> like this:
>>>
>>> http://www.loculus.nl/xfce/files/xfce4-start-stop-0.1.tar.gz
>>>
>>> See attached screenshot.
>>>
>>> Not sure if xfwm4 should be in there, but it's just a proof of
>>> concept anyway. I simply call pidof, so there may be a better way (no
>>> idea about portability, etc.).
>>
>> pidof is not portable.

Just realized that your implementation has another major drawback:
Imagine you run several instances of the panel (in multiscreen mode),
then you'll kill the first one found by pidof, which will probably be
running on a different screen... Or imagine you run several Xfce
sessions on the same computer, then you'll probably kill components in
another session. I guess its impossible to get this 100% reliable w/o
support from the session manager.

> cheers,
>     Jasper

regards,