Link color in documentation: still not happy

Jeff Franks jcf at tpg.com.au
Fri Nov 19 01:18:58 CET 2004

Jasper,

I really do like the documentation colors we settled on. I've been
updating my documentation to use a new CSS file. I decided to remove all
the tables and use only CSS boxes, so that if the colors are changed in
the future I'll only need to update the stylesheet, not every HTML file.

Unfortunately, I have spent a reasonable amount of time looking at the
new link colors: #236EBE (link, active), #1A5593 (visited) and #3366FF
(hover), and I see same problem. The link and visited colors are too
similar to easily discern a difference. And often links in to sections
in the same page never actually change color to visited.

I have given it some thought and I think the only solution I'm happy
with is your earlier suggestion. Make the link and visited colors the
same. I don't think this is unreasonable. Where not dealing with dynamic
links on a web page. These are just documentation links. People use
these links to move around the various parts of the documentation, and
the occasional external link. They frequently need to refer to the same
section of the documentation more than once and so wont be too concerned
as to whether they have been there before or not.

I don't see why we can't break with convention for our documentation,
many others do including freedesktop.org. I would like to use the two
colors: #1A5593 (link, active, visited) and #3366FF (hover). I think
this looks visually more appealing and easily identifiable.

What to you think? I promise, no more changes after this.

Regards,
Jeff.