Transparent panel thoughts

Randy Chung aoshi at OCF.Berkeley.EDU
Wed Nov 17 21:26:00 CET 2004

Brian J. Tarricone wrote:
> On 11/17/04 02:35, Randy Chung wrote:
>
>>My understanding of the problem is that it's only problematic when the
>>panel is high enough in the desktop such that it'll block the window bar
>>when a window is maximized.  If this is the case, what about doing some
>>checking when maximizing to see if the panel is above a certain
>>threshold, and only then keeping the window from maximizing under the
>>panel?  Is this feasible? (I haven't had a chance to look at the
>>interaction between the wm and the panel lately)
>

> the WM doesn't treat the panel in any "special" way, it just sees it as
> another dock-type window.  i *think* what you want here is essentially
> special-casing the panel in some way, which is a definite no-no.  i could
> be wrong though.
>
> 	-b
What I had in mind was less special casing the panel specifically, and
more along the lines of special casing any window that's always on top.
  I'm not sure how well that would work, especially since I can imagine
a few scenarios where that would be undesired behavior.  What I suppose
it comes down to is whether it would make more people happy to have
always-on-top windows special cased or if the status quo makes more
people happy.

Alternatively, if configure option bloat was acceptable, it could be
added as another option you could set (but this sort of thing seems to
be getting shot down pretty quickly lately)

--

Randy