xfbrowser4

Brad Cowan bcowan at gentoo.org
Wed Nov 10 03:22:32 CET 2004

On Tue, 2004-11-09 at 22:05 -0400, Erik Harrison wrote:
> On Tue, 9 Nov 2004 17:58:54 -0800, Brian J. Tarricone <bjt23 at cornell.edu> wrote:

> > huh?  xmms doesn't show up on the panel by default.  i'm not even sure that
> > the xmms plugin still works.  it certainly isn't installed by default.
>
> The xmms plugin may not, but there certainly is an xmms launcher on
> the panel by default.
>
> -Erik

Yes this is what I meant.

> > > I commented that xfmedia may be available with
> > > the next major version after 4.2 but until then we were trying to figure
> > > out a good workaround.
> >
> > i doubt xfmedia will ever actually be a part of xfce proper.  for one thing,
> > it's not really in xfce's philosophy to provide a media player, and a
> > dependency on xine for a desktop environment doesn't make sense to me
> > (gnome's future [current?] dependency on gstreamer notwithstanding).  also,
> > i kinda like the ability of making releases whenever i want to, and not
> > having to worry about xfce feature freezes.  forcing a media player to
> > conform to a DE's release schedule just doesn't make much sense to me.

Figured that would be the response. Libxine is very very large, but I do
like xfmedia. I was just trying to justify xmms (mozilla and mozilla
-mail) being default on the panel to the other devs.

> > > Another issue was being able to remove/hide items
> > > from the desktop apps menu w/o manually rm .desktop files.
> >
> > here's a fun one.  i'm not sure that this is going to happen, really.  i
> > don't believe benny's menu is customiseable in this manner, though since it
> > fully supports the freedesktop spec, the menu editor could probably be
> > extended to handle it properly.  at any rate, the autogenerated menu isn't
> > intended to be edited.  if you don't want it, you remove it, and add the
> > items that you really do want to the menu proper (you can use the menu
> > editor + appfinder to do this via DnD).

Well I had to put in the input/advice from our desktop team. These were
their overall concerns/gripes.

--
Brad Cowan <bcowan at gentoo.org>
Developer,

Public Key: http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xB1F16A56
Key fingerprint = C408 75B9 E68D 26E2 EAAE  20CF 4D5E 293D B1F1 6A56