xfbrowser4

Brian J. Tarricone bjt23 at cornell.edu
Wed Nov 10 02:58:54 CET 2004

On 11/09/04 20:41, Brad Cowan wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-11-09 at 16:45 -0800, Brian J. Tarricone wrote:
> > On 11/09/04 23:38, Ladanyi, Akos wrote:
> > > Dear Xfce Developers,
> > >
> > > As far as I know xfterm4 uses the TERMCMD enviroment variable to
> > > determine the preferred terminal program. While xfhelp4 uses the BROWSER
> > > variable to determine the preferred browser. Now in the default menu
> > > generated by xfdesktop the Web Browser entry launches mozilla, and in
> > > xffm the terminal icon launches xfce4-terminal.
> > >
> > > I guess now everybody knows what I want to say. I suppose xffm should
> > > use xfterm4 too and a new wrapper script should be introduced
> > > (xfbrowser4 ?). Latter would be a simple modification of xfhelp4.
> > > And both the 'Web Browser' entry in the desktop menu and xfhelp4 could
> > > use xfbrowser4.
> > >
> > > I think this would improve consistency, and it can be easily done.
> > > What do you think?
> >
> > xfhelp4 is basically just a browser launcher.  it could just be renamed
> > to xfbrowser4, and xfhelp4 could call it for backward compat.  yeah, this
> > is something i've been meaning to do for a while now, but i never got
> > around to.
>
> Please implement this.  We (gentoo-desktop team) were just discussing
> this the other day as a usability issue along with xmms showing up as
> default on the panel.

huh?  xmms doesn't show up on the panel by default.  i'm not even sure that
the xmms plugin still works.  it certainly isn't installed by default.

> I commented that xfmedia may be available with
> the next major version after 4.2 but until then we were trying to figure
> out a good workaround.

i doubt xfmedia will ever actually be a part of xfce proper.  for one thing,
it's not really in xfce's philosophy to provide a media player, and a
dependency on xine for a desktop environment doesn't make sense to me
(gnome's future [current?] dependency on gstreamer notwithstanding).  also,
i kinda like the ability of making releases whenever i want to, and not
having to worry about xfce feature freezes.  forcing a media player to
conform to a DE's release schedule just doesn't make much sense to me.

> Another issue was being able to remove/hide items
> from the desktop apps menu w/o manually rm .desktop files.

here's a fun one.  i'm not sure that this is going to happen, really.  i
don't believe benny's menu is customiseable in this manner, though since it
fully supports the freedesktop spec, the menu editor could probably be
extended to handle it properly.  at any rate, the autogenerated menu isn't
intended to be edited.  if you don't want it, you remove it, and add the
items that you really do want to the menu proper (you can use the menu
editor + appfinder to do this via DnD).

> All the devs whom tried the lastest betas really like the direction the
> projects heading. Keep up the great work.

glad to hear it, thanks ^_^.

	-brian