Changes between 4.0 and 4.2

edscott wilson garcia edscott at xfce.org
Fri Nov 5 15:08:06 CET 2004

El vie, 05-11-2004 a las 04:54, Jasper Huijsmans escribió:
> Hey all,
>
> I have prepared a list of user-visible and important changes for all modules,
> based on what I could find in the changelogs.
>
> I'm sure it will be incomplete, so please reply with corrections and
> additions.

Hola Jasper,

Some corrections and additions [and FYI comments]:

> xffm
- Use Freedesktop.org mime standard.

[Yes. FYI, Standard mimefile is at
libxfcegui4/xfce4-modules/mime/freedesktop.org.xml. An alternative to
packaging this file with libxfcegui4 is a dependency to
shared-mime-info. /me shakes head, but shrugs shoulders]

- Two independent panes (eliminated confusing behaviour from 4.0.x).
- Completely reworked toolbars and menus.
- Better archiving support (creating tar/tar.gz/tar.bz2 archives).
- Improved trash handling with support for GNOME and KDE trash bins.
- Use global icon theme (user interface dialog).
- Allow user customization of icon themes.
- Improved samba support (allow mount/unmount, double click, monitor downloads)
- Keeps track of recently and frequently opened files
- Applications branch is now a toolbar (only if --enable-panel)
- Ability to change file name, group, owner and mode allowed from inline
row editing.
- Dynamic sidebar.
- Improved asian language support.
- Pastelink option added (i.e., create symlinks to pasteboard elements)
- Recursive scrambling of directories (only if --enable-scrambledir)
- Mount/unmount of fstab points allowed from outside fstab branch (by
popup menu).
- Mouse selection behaviour configurable by user.
- Verbose/nonverbose diagnostics configurable by user.
- Renaming of bookmark elements allowed.
- Noticeable performance improvements under the hood.
- Search window called directly by invoking xfglob4.
- Files opened directly with associated mimetype application if invoked
with "xffm filename" (path to filename can be absolute, relative or
relative to homedir).

[This last point shortcircuits loading of shared libraries and modules
for better response.]

[The docs are totally out of date and I hope to rewrite :-\]

regards,

Edscott