Common gotchas upgrading from 4.0 -> 4.2

Jasper Huijsmans jasper at xfce.org
Wed Nov 3 16:29:39 CET 2004

On Wed, Nov 03, 2004 at 03:36:29PM +0100, Benedikt Meurer wrote:
> Jasper Huijsmans wrote:
> >Hey all,
> >
> >I think it would be good if we could collect a list of common problems that
> >people may encounter when upgrading from 4.0 to 4.2. Some sort of Upgrading
> >FAQ.
> >
> >- Base dir spec. Some distribution apparently set XDG_*_DIRS. If that does
> >not
> >  include the Xfce prefix, none of the modules will find their
> >  configuration.
>
> I worked around the problem in the installer, by processing the
> startxfce4 file with the following commands, Brian already suggested to
> put it in the upstream version. What do you think?

[ ... good stuff ;-) ... ]

Yes, that can't do any harm, can it?

I still feel a little uncomfortable to depend on the correct setting of an
external variable for proper operation. Adding our system install locations at
the end of the resource lookup function seems to me a safe way to guarantee
proper operation, without interfering with the possibilities for people to
customize their setup (any other XDG_*_DIRS will be searched first).