Common gotchas upgrading from 4.0 -> 4.2

edscott wilson garcia edscott at xfce.org
Wed Nov 3 14:31:40 CET 2004

El mié, 03-11-2004 a las 06:27, Olivier Fourdan escribió:
> On Wed, 2004-11-03 at 13:18 +0100, Jasper Huijsmans wrote:
> > - Icon theme stuff. I know of two problems that seem to happen fairly often,
> >   missing icons when librsvg is not installed (slackware only?), and missing
> >   icons in nautilus. Not sure if we have a solution for those.
>
> I've been thinking of this lately, and I came up with a rather brutal
> solution: Why not dropping SVG support unless explicitely requested (ie
> --enable-svg=yes)

You might notice other problems if you drop support for svg from
xfce-icontheme.

Another two problems is that inheritance does not work correctly and
each application creates a big hash table in memory each time it starts
up (IOW, bloat), most of it will not be used more than once.

To fix the problems for the mime-icons module, I took Brian's code
apart, piece by piece, and rewrote the hash table business. To solve the
"big hash table", I allowed a theme to be opened with a fixed size. When
this is done, a shared disk based hash table is used instead of a memory
hash table, which greatly increases startup speed and reduces memory
footprint. Whenever an out-of-date disk based hashtable is requested, it
is automatically regenerated by means of the big hash table.

I only implemented 3 exported functions. One to open the icontheme, one
to unload the memory hash table, and one to find the path to the correct
icon. See libxfcegui4/xfce4-modules/mime-icons/icon-theme.h for details.
The source icon-theme.c also contains a commented out main() that can be
used for testing.

> /me hides from the flame war :)

/me is open to comments, but unable to read flames :)

regards,

Edscott