xfdesktop woes

Olivier fourdan at xfce.org
Sat May 29 21:10:42 CEST 2004

Brian,

On Sat, 2004-05-29 at 19:40, Brian J. Tarricone wrote:
> um.... how is this useful to me?  i think the semi-broken multihead
> support is somewhat irrelevant

Not that much irrelevant, sorry. Please read further to get my point.

> to be redone for xinerama anyway.  not to mention the fact that
> xfdesktop has bigger problems.

Xinerama is really something different. It has nothing to do with
multihead (even if Gdk API tries to make you think it's releated)

Back to the multihead support, you wrote that :

> then i redesigned and rewrote the multihead support.  and the crashing
> came back.  i really can't understand how i could have introduced the
> same bug twice.

So I just wanted to point that the current implementation doesn't work
reliably anyway.

Plus, xfdesktop is the only app that is really "multiscreen" aware (not
talking about xfce4-session, since it can really help with multiple
screens by launching the required apps on each screen), so I'm not sure
it's really that much needed.

I think (and I said so even before 4.0 was out) that it could be more
interesting to make xfce-mcs-manager be able to read/save separate files
for each screen of a given display. This way, if someone run 2 xfdesktop
on each screen, the settings get properly saved /restored.

 - Olivier Fourdan - fourdan at xfce.org - http://www.xfce.org -