xfdesktop woes

Brian J. Tarricone bjt23 at cornell.edu
Sat May 29 10:43:48 CEST 2004

Brian J. Tarricone wrote:

> my current version that i'm working off of is here:
> http://spuriousinterrupt.org/xfce4/files/xfdesktop-20040529_working_nomh.tar.bz2
>
> note that this version doesn't "work" in that it won't draw a backdrop
> for you.  well, it could, but i haven't updated the settings panel, so
> there's no way to set the backdrop.  the previous version, which is
> basically a feb 12th cvs snapshot, plus the backported menu, is here:
> http://spuriousinterrupt.org/xfce4/files/xfdesktop-20040529_b0rked_mh.tar.bz2
>
> i'm really out of ideas.  i'm not sure if i expect anyone else to
> figure anything out, but if anyone wants to play with it, you're
> welcome to it.

note i got that backwards - the first one is the version that works in
that it doesn't cause apps to crash.  it doesn't have multihead support,
and pretty much all it has beyond 4.0.x is the new menu system (plus
menueditor).  the second version is the version that i'm happy with
design-wise, and has multihead support, but causes apps to crash.  this
one is the one that won't draw a backdrop because there's no way to set
the settings for it.

    -brian