New session manager

Benedikt Meurer benedikt.meurer at unix-ag.uni-siegen.de
Mon May 17 20:14:46 CEST 2004

Hello Xfce world,

I just committed the new session manager code to HEAD. It is not yet in a
production ready state, but since I'm working on it for over two months now,
there has to be a point to commit it, or 4.2 will be released in 2010 :-)

The new code is now 100% multihead-safe (both MultiScreen and Xinerama), most
of the reported bugs are fixed and everything looks better now :)

The problems are currently:

  - smproxy does no longer work with the session manager (so, do _NOT_ launch
smproxy, it'll cause all kinds of problems). I have to write a multihead safe
replacement for smproxy, but that'll take some time.
  - Some buggy programs can still crash the sm, I'm on it
  - the interaction sm <-> wm seems to be broken, since xfwm4 does not
recognize any windows at startup (Olivier, any ideas on this?)
  - the splash window is now yet themable (Note, that from now on, the old
splash themes are no longer supported), I've talked to Francois about a good
splash theme solution, but theres nothing in sight yet, but don't worry, it'll
be ready for 4.2
  - the code and the file formats are not yet frozen, I preserve the right to
change it if necessary.

So, after all, happy testing (expect bugs :-)

regards,
Benedikt

PS: Olivier, I noticed that there is no way to tell the window manager to keep
a window on top of all others (the NETWM fullscreen state does not seem to
work with xfwm4), can you have a look at it. I've currently set the splash
window OverrideRedirect and manually raises the it every now and then. It'd be
nice if the window manager could do this instead.

--
NetBSD Operating system:                       http://www.NetBSD.org/
pkgsrc "Work in progress":                  http://pkgsrc-wip.sf.net/

OpenPGP Key: http://www.home.unix-ag.org/bmeurer/#gpg