unifying icon themes

Brian J. Tarricone bjt23 at cornell.edu
Sun Mar 28 14:21:49 CEST 2004

hi all-

i want to move the icon theme setting out of the panel prefs and into
the UI prefs.  i also want it to look for icon themes in
/usr/share/icons (or, rather, $XDG_DATA_DIRS/icons or whatever it is).

there are a couple problems with this.  the main one is that if there's
a theme in /usr/share/icons (let's call it Foobar), that doesn't exist
in /usr/share/xfce4/themes, and the user selects icon theme Foobar, then
the panel is without themed icons.  we can make a symlink in
/usr/share/xfce4/themes, from Curve (the default theme) to 'hicolor'
(the default/fallback theme according to the icon spec), and that will
at least give the panel some icons to display.  the problem is that if
someone wants to use Foobar as their main icon theme, but something
other than Curve for the panel theme, they can't.  well, i think they
can (depends on if gtk_icon_theme_set_theme_name() works globally or
just for the current GtkIconTheme instance), but that requires
maintaining the pref for the panel icon theme (as well as a "use global
theme" option for the panel), and that sounds quite like prefs bloat to me.

either way, the icon theme setting needs to be changed to set
Net/IconThemeName in XSETTINGS, because xfdesktop's icon themes are
broken without it in gtk 2.4.

so what do we think?  jasper, since the panel is yours, i'm especially
interested in your opinion.

    -brian