xfce4-session+xterm+linux=boom

Benedikt Meurer benedikt.meurer at unix-ag.uni-siegen.de
Sun Mar 21 19:06:49 CET 2004

Olivier,

I tried to hunt the xterm+xfce4-session+linux problem today, but
unfortunately, I'm still unable to reproduce the bug. It seems to work fine
even on Linux systems.

I tried to reproduce using the following shell script:

while test ! -f /tmp/foo; do xterm -e 'sh -c exit' & done

All I got from it was a quite unusable X server, but once I touched /tmp/foo,
everything went back to normal behaviour. Tested with FreeBSD 5.2.1, NetBSD
1.6W and a gentoo linux box.

Looking at the xfce4-session code over and over again, I can't seem to find
any bug (seems to be a race cond from what you reported) that could cause such
weird behaviour (though its usual, that such bugs are found when you don't
expect it).

Therefore: Can you still reprocude the bug with the current xfce4-session? Is
there any good chance to get a core dump or any other useful information that
would help to trace the problem?

regards,
Benedikt

--