[patch] xfdesktop menu in a gmodule, new menu generator too

Brian J. Tarricone bjt23 at cornell.edu
Wed Mar 17 07:42:10 CET 2004

hi all-

my work to move the menu into a gmodule is basically done.  it seems
stable (for me), and i think i got all the memory leaks (grr, SVG icons
are still leaking).  don't report any memleaks to me unless you've
updated libxfcegui4 within the last 5 minutes, since i committed a
change to disable SVG icon loading in GtkIconTheme.

new patch is in the usual place:
http://kelnos.homelinux.org/xfce4/files/xfdesktop-menu-gmodule-20040317.tar.gz
as with last time, untar it _in the xfdesktop source tree root_ since it
has a .png file that's needed.  _rerun autogen.sh_ after applying the
patch!  i've test-applied the patch to a clean checkout from CVS, so if
you're having problems applying, try checking out a fresh tree.

after compiling/installing, remember to 'killall -USR1 xfce4-panel' so
it recognises the new plugin.

NB: if you want to use the new menu panel plugin, you _must_ install
this copy to the same $prefix as the panel.  if not, the plugin itself
wil be installed correctly, but it won't be able to find the gmodule
with the menu code.  actually, it occurs to me that it might be able to
find it, but i wouldn't recommend installing it to a different prefix
(if you want to try it and tell me how it goes, please feel free).

NB^2: there is still no fix for the problem of certain apps crashing
right after launch.  i have noticed, however, that apps don't crash from
the menu when they're launched from the new panel plugin, so that seems
to indicate to me that the problem is in xfdesktop itself, and not in
the menu code (yay!).

NB^3: i noticed that with SVG icons disabled, you'll get some
GdkPixbuf-CRITICAL and GLib-GObject-CRITICAL message printed to
console.  sorry about that, but there doesn't appear to be a way to fix
that (apparently when you disable SVG icons it still tries to open some
nonexistant file for some reason).

if i could get as many people testing this as possible, i'd really
appreciate it.  i want to put this into CVS soon and move on to other
things (desktop icons maybe).  if people could test with gtk 2.4.0 as
well, that would be cool.

oh, i just realised i forgot to put in icon= support for <title> items
in the menu.  oh well.  also, <xfdesktop useicons="false"> isn't
honoured right now.  they're both trivial fixes and i'll put them in for
the next patch or when i commit to CVS.  try the new icon support for
<menu> items; it's fun.  blah, i suck.  i also just realised that the
menu won't autoregenerate either.  ah well, i'll fix that later.  i just
want to make sure things install ok and xfdesktop or the panel don't
crash for weird reasons.

    -brian