[OT] Icons

Brian J. Tarricone bjt23 at cornell.edu
Wed Jun 30 17:59:05 CEST 2004

On Wed, 30 Jun 2004, Francois Le Clainche wrote:

> FYI, I've released an icon theme called Rodent.

hehehe, nice name ^_^.

> README:
> http://perso.wanadoo.fr/flc.web/xfce/README.txt

from the README:

    - alternative icons for the Xfce MCS settings manager, if you are
      mad enough to play with Xfce components at build time. For that,
      you are on your own. These icons are in the ./48x48/misc/ sub-directory.

my intention was to make all the MCS icons themable as well, it's just
something i hadn't gotten around to doing.  when benny mentioned he was
working on a new settings manager, i decided to put it off.  so
presumably these'll work properly whenever that happens.

> For my defence, I'm not an artist.

don't be so modest!  they look great!  you mention in the README the
lack of 3D effect.  i actually like this better.  i think there's a
growing trend in the UI world for less 3D - for example, i point to the
large number of "artsy" websites that are setting the border width on
form controls to 1 pixel to get a "flat" look.

personally, i'd love to see this theme provided with xfce and used as
the default for new installs.

a random note, mainly just curious.  i notice you've released them under
the GPL.  is this a normal thing to do with artwork?  my first thought
is that a creative commons license would be more applicable.

	-brian