Xfce 4.1 alpha release?

Benedikt Meurer benedikt.meurer at unix-ag.uni-siegen.de
Tue Jun 22 22:59:03 CEST 2004

Olivier wrote:
> - Is the API stable enough? I guess so now.
> - Is the software stable enough? Well, xfce4-session (session vanishing
> under Linux) and xfdesktop (menu causing crashes to GNOME apps) bugs
> have been fixed, so I now think it would be safe to release some code.
> - The panel seems to be in a fairly stable state.
> - So is xfwm4 now, it's just passed all of my smoking tests ;)
> - xffm: Hehehe, Edscott, it's state is a bit blured for me ;) Where do
> we stand regarding xffm?
> - xfce-mcs-manager multiscreen? I've heard of an multiscreen
> implementation of the mcs-manager from Benny. I don't know much of it,
> but I guess it duplicates the XSETTINGS/MCS channels on every screen.
> Benny, any additional info?

Since there's no easy way to add multiscreen support to mcs-manager, I started
to rewrite the whole thing and fixed several other problems and shortcomings
of the current mcs-manager. I'm nearly finished with the rewrite. The mcs
plugins will have to be updated/rewritten for multiscreen support, and
everything has to be stabilized. I guess all of this will take up to a month
or two. I don't suggest making an alpha release before the MCS multiscreen
issue is done, because a) its currently mostly unusable in multiscreen mode
(under certain conditions, you cannot even login correctly, etc... I've seen
really weird effects!) and b) there'll be a lot of code changes and of course
changes in the mcs API.

I'll send code for the new settings manager once I get a working setup so
everyone can take a look at it and comment on it.

So my suggestion is to schedule the alpha release for end of July/beginning of
August 2004. This also leaves the chance to do some more testing on the
current components, its not that it would work out of the box on every system
currently. Esp. the icon theming stuff needs a lot of work (I've already told
brian)!

> Cheers,
> Olivier.

regards,