panel stuff

edscott wilson garcia edscott at xfce.org
Sun Jun 20 19:20:12 CEST 2004

El dom, 20-06-2004 a las 09:16, Benedikt Meurer escribió:
> edscott wilson garcia wrote:
>
> Do we really need to duplicate the panel in xffm? I mean, we already have the
> launchers in the panel, no need to have the same launchers in xffm IMHO.

Short story:
Yes it is the same, but no, it is definitely not the same. It's all
about keeping things lean and sharing good code between applications.

Long story:
The configuration is read from the xfce4-panel, but there is a large
difference: if you release-click on a icon that is "inside" the
"drawer", that icon becomes the top drawer. This behaviour allows you to
have a toolbar with different launchers from the xfce4-panel (by adding
launchers within the drawers, and later selecting them with xffm, which
remembers). It also allows you to customize the toolbar on-the-fly. Drag
and drop is also easier than dragging to the xfce4-panel (at least for
us who do not like to drag stuff clear across the screen). Anyways, you
have to use it to see what I mean.

And no, it's not duplicated. If the user's xfce4-panel is poor (nothing
in the drawers), or she feels she does not need the toolbar-panel, she
just has to hide it. Xffm will remember and nothing will be created in
memory if not visible.

The only thing to remember is that I will not grant any "ability to
customize toolbar" requests, especially when the xfce4-panel has such
excellent code for doing just that. (Thumbs up Jasper ;)

regards,

Edscott