Semi-OT: Getting back into programming

edscott wilson garcia edscott at prodigy.net.mx
Thu Jun 10 18:49:56 CEST 2004

El mié, 09-06-2004 a las 21:42, Joe Klemmer escribió:

> do C with them.  The problem with the IDE's, other than the vim/nedit
> option, is the steep learning curve they all have.  It's almost as much
> to learn the IDE as it is the language.

And what's worse is that once the new IDE version comes out, you have to
start the learning curve all over again...

> 	I would like to ask what others are using.  What is the preferred
> method or tools of development being used by you guys?  I sm leaning
> towards either Anjuta or the vim/nedit method but am not against using
> something else.  It would be good to be as compatible as possible with
> you guys.  I'm not against taking a few months to learn an IDE but I'd
> rather learn one than all of them.

-I use multiple gvim's, a single xterm and a single xfbook.

-I organise projects by placing the related directories in a bookmark
saved under a specific name. For example, I run "xfbook xfce4" for the
xfce project. This book currently has 5 directories: belios, lunar,
xfce4, xfce4-modules, xffm. And one file called "BUGS" which is located
somewhere I never remember (I don't have to).

-To locate the files I need, say the ones where a reference to
"foo(arguments)" is present, I use the find button of xffm to create
virtual folders with whatever I need at the moment. This feature of xffm
is also useful when sifting through other people's code to see how they
do things.

-I use the xffm filter with "c$|am$|h$|glade$|^configure" so that all
the object files and stuff like that do not clog up space and I only
look at what is relevant. (The filter uses regexp's)

Basically is xffm is designed for a developer who does not use an IDE
(/me ;).

The only thing lacking from the last IDE I used (borland stuff), was
"line-to-line" debugging, but that is not very useful when dealing with
GUI development. I use gdb and put in a lot of print statements when I
run into trouble. Or put in an abort somewhere and then view the
traceback.

 regards,

Edscott