suggestions...

Don Christensen djc at cisco.com
Fri Jul 23 23:02:56 CEST 2004

Brian J. Tarricone wrote:
> On Fri, 23 Jul 2004, Don Christensen wrote:
>>Personally, I would vote for having the option of binding a menu to
>>the left button.  I tend not to iconify apps to icons (on OSes/DEs
>>that support it)--that's why I have multiple workspaces--so I don't
>>need the left button for dealing with icons on the root window.  My
>>Windows machine (on the rare occasions that I use it) has about five
>>icons on it.  It would suit my work habits better to have a
>>user-configurable menu there so I could leave the right button for
>>the all-encompassing appfinder menu (or the one generated by mmaker).
>
> this has already been discussed - i'm not going to add a pref for this,
> despite the fact that i _do_ think it would be interesting to have the
> ability to use two menus.  perhaps there's another way.

Hmmm, I decided to explore and was thinking about just including a
user-menu into the main right-button menu.  Is there a way to include
another menu into menu.xml?  I briefly tried something like the
following:

menu.xml:

<!DOCTYPE xfdesktop-menu [
<!ENTITY user_menu SYSTEM "tst_user_menu.xml">
]>
<xfdesktop-menu>
<title name="Desktop Menu" visible="yes"/>
<separator/>
&user_menu;
<separator/>

tst_user_menu.xml:

   <app icon="/usr/share/icons/crystalsvg/32x32/apps/vnc.png" name="sys1:1" cmd="vncviewer sys1:1"/>
   <app icon="/usr/share/icons/crystalsvg/32x32/apps/vnc.png" name="sys2:1" cmd="vncviewer sys2:1"/>

but the menu then failed to load.

Any suggestions?

-Don

--
Don Christensen       Senior Software Development Engineer
djc at cisco.com         Cisco Systems, Santa Cruz, CA