Icon themes

Jasper Huijsmans jasper at xfce.org
Fri Jul 23 13:34:46 CEST 2004

Benedikt Meurer wrote:
> I just realized that our icon themes inherit the "crystalsvg" icon
> theme, which is quite nice. But I wonder if it wouldn't be better to
> inherit "default.kde"?

Unless I'm very much mistaken, the icon themes are only for the 4.0.x
panel. Personally, I'd like to get rid of the special xfce themes and
use whatever icon theme the user has installed.

If we are going to maintain our own icon sets -- and I agree the
currently available themes are rather incomplete -- I'd prefer us to
supply the missing icons for common icon themes, rather than creating
new themes which inherit from them. For example, create icons for Wasp,
rather then creating a BeOS theme that inherits from Wasp. To prevent
overwriting files, in this case we shouldn't install index.theme files
at all.

More on topic, the best icon theme to inherit from depends on what kind
of theme it is. It might be better for some to depend on "Gnome".

	Jasper