xfdesktop menu cache fixes

Benedikt Meurer benedikt.meurer at unix-ag.uni-siegen.de
Sat Jul 17 16:27:33 CEST 2004

Brian J. Tarricone wrote:
> i just made some changes to the menu caching system so it works properly
> in a few important cases that i didn't test properly.  anyway, the cache
> config file name changed, so it shouldn't be a problem, but just to make
> sure, please do 'rm ~/.cache/xfdesktop/*' after updating.  also, benny
> made me a patch that changes how xfdesktop looks for .desktop files, so
> if any of your apps are missing, that's probably why - you'll need to
> set some env vars to make it work properly.  i'm not sure exactly how
> that works, perhaps benny can explain that.

Sure. Its quite simple: There are basicly too import environment
variables XDG_DATA_DIRS (defaults to
"$xfce_datadir:/usr/local/share:/usr/share") and XDG_CONFIG_DIRS
(defaults to "$xfce_sysconfdir/xdg:$xfce_sysconfdir/xfce4:/etc/xdg")
that control how the system works (where XDG_CONFIG_DIRS isn't important
to the menu generation currently).

So, suppose, you have Xfce4 installed into /opt/xfce4, you have some
apps installed into /usr and /usr/local and you have Gnome installed in
/opt/gnome2. Now you want all those apps appear in the Xfce menu (and of
course, you also want to see their icons), then you should set the two
variables as follows:

XDG_CONFIG_DIRS="/opt/xfce4/etc/xdg:/opt/xfce4/etc/xfce4:/opt/xfce4/etc/xdg
:/usr/local/etc/xdg:/opt/gnome2/etc/xdg:/etc/xdg"
XDG_DATA_DIRS="/opt/xfce4/share:/usr/share:/usr/local/share:/opt/gnome2/share"

This way, all stuff will be found (the lookup-order is left-to-right).
In the near future, distro will set those env vars to working values by
default, so you only need to modify them if you install anything in a
non-standard location for those distro.

>    -brian

Benedikt