Linux NX and Xfce

Brian J. Tarricone bjt23 at cornell.edu
Fri Jul 16 15:52:09 CEST 2004

On Thu, 15 Jul 2004, Joe Klemmer wrote:

> 	I do not know if this has been addressed or not.  I am 469 messages
> behind in this list.  But I wanted to bring it up just in case.
>
> 	It seems that xfce4-panel will not run under Linux with the new NX (No
> eXecute) feature.  See -
>
> http://www.ussg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0407.1/0782.html

interesting.  i emerged chpax on my gentoo machine and had a look at the
config file, and it looks like xfce4-panel requires PSE - "PageExec",
"SegmExec", and "Emulate Trampolines".  from the man page this means
that the kernel needs to needs to:
* not enforce paging based on non-executable pages
* not enforce segmentation based on non-executable pages
* emulate trampolines
when running xfce4-panel.  i have only a passing knowledge of this
stuff, so i'm not going to be much help "fixing it", but i thought i'd
share what info i could find.

	-brian