iconbox & taskbar feature requests

edscott edscott at prodigy.net.mx
Thu Jul 15 21:30:07 CEST 2004

El jue, 15-07-2004 a las 09:38, Antonio SJ Musumeci escribió:
> I'm gathering that xffm is using stdin and stdout to use samba tools...
> does samba provide a library which would allow you to do all that
> cleaner and directly?

I have thought of it before, but such a move would not be beneficial. It
would introduce dependencies, created a larger memory footprint and
would not work for boxes with pre-3.0 samba. Besides, the samba
component is not the only part of xffm which uses pipes on 0/1/2.
(copying, moving, creating tarballs, searching, mounting, just about
everything). This keeps things simple and small. With version 4.0.x, we
are use a buggy glib function which makes things a bit slow. This is
changed for "select" in 4.1 which makes for very fast response. The
speed increase brought some bugs to surface but by now they are all
fixed.