Building XFCE on Cygwin

Maarten Boekhold boekhold at emirates.net.ae
Fri Jul 9 17:59:44 CEST 2004

Hi all,

OK, I seem to be getting the hang of how to do the porting of XFCE to
cygwin. In most cases it is sufficient to add -no-undefined to the
LDFLAGS of libraries, and to add @XFCE_MCS_MANAGER_LIBS/CFLAGS@ to the
Makefile.am of those libraries (which also pulls in the xfce4util,
xfcegui4 and glib/gtk libraries).

There's still some unclarity on how to handle the plugins, i.e. panel
plugins and mcs plugins (xfce4-session currently only fails to build
because it uses mcs_plugin_check_version, which is defined in the
xfce-mcs-manager binary as far as I can tell).

According to the cygwin list there are two ways of handling libraries
that refer to symbols defined inside executables: (1) extract all the
'exported' functions from those executables and put them in a separate
shared library, and (2) create stub libraries for those exported symbols.

I suspect that the XFCE developers would be less than enthousiastic
about option 1, as it seems fairly invasive to me. But 2 should be
possible. I still haven't figured out the details of how to do (2) yet,
but I'm working on it.

I suggest that as soon as we have an 'approved' way of handling this, I
start submitting patches to this list? The patches really seem very
minimal at the moment: just some configure.ac and Makefile.am stuff...

Maarten