Building XFCE on Cygwin

Maarten Boekhold boekhold at emirates.net.ae
Fri Jul 9 16:52:46 CEST 2004

Brian J. Tarricone wrote:
> but panel plugins definitely do reference global
> symbols in xfce4-panel, so if there's no way to get this effect on
> windows, i honestly don't see much of a point in continuing further.

I'm sure that there's a way to accomplish this. I just send a mail to
the cygwin mailing list to ask for some help from the resident experts...

> yeah, for the ones that are missing the appropriate _LIBADD or _LDFLAGS
> section, you can simply add them.  all of the variables look like
> *_CFLAGS and *_LDFLAGS, and the first half is just the all-caps prefix
> given in the configure.ac line that checks for its presence (the
> BM_DEPEND() and BM_DEPEND_CHECK() lines).

So if I need to add the gobject/glib etc. libs to the LDFLAGS of a
library, I will need to add something like:

BM_DEPEND([GOBJECT], [gobject-2.0], [2.0.0])

to configure.ac, and then I will have access to
GOBJECT_LIBS/GOBJECT_LDFLAGS/GOBJECT_CFLAGS in Makefile.am?

>>btw. Regarding adding -no-undefined everywhere, originally I was
>>planning to add this only to the _la_LDFLAGS when we are on cygwin. But
>>one of the cygwin developers told me that this flag doesn't hurt on
>>other platforms at all, so we could easily just add it everywhere. How
>>do the XFCE developers feel about this?
>
> if that really is the case, i personally don't care.  however, i'm no
> libtool expert, and i'd like to hear it from someone who knows a bit
> more than i do.  benny?  olivier?  jasper?  ...?

OK, let's wait for that then. Otherwise it wouldn't be difficult (I
suppose, I've never used autoconf&friends before) to add a rule to
configure.ac that conditionally sets something like
@LIBTOOL_NO_UNDEFINED@ to either "" or "-no-undefined".

Maarten