xfdesktop menu drag and drop?

Brian J. Tarricone bjt23 at cornell.edu
Mon Jul 5 07:55:33 CEST 2004

On Mon, 5 Jul 2004, Jasper Huijsmans wrote:

> Brian J. Tarricone wrote:
> > On Fri, 2 Jul 2004, Eduard Roccatello wrote:

> >>i think we should discuss this together.
> >>panel dnd implementation is really useful for appfinder (it is why
> >>appfinder has been developed). Actual dnd implementation is just to pass
> >>the path of the .desktop file and it works with menu editor (appfinder
> >>can dnd things to menueditor).
> >>
> >>What about it Brian?
> >
> > i've already talked to jasper about this, and the problem is that
> > there's no easy way to create a launcher programmatically (i.e., from
> > within the panel.
> >
> > for xfdesktop, at the point that we're doing a drag, we don't know what
> > the .desktop file is.  actually, there may not even _be_ a .desktop
> > file, since it may be a manually created entry in menu.xml.  so, i'm
> > basically sending the "contents" of the .desktop file (generated myself)
> > as the drag data.  obviously, if the panel can be made to support this,
> > adding support for receiving a text/uri (of the .desktop file) is
> > trivial.
> >
> > anything i'm missing?
>
> For now, I think it would be nice to support DND of x-desktop-file
> target to the launcher dialog. It's not perfect, but it's better than
> nothing.

mm, that sounds doable, but i'm not sure how useful it is.  well, i
suppose it's useful, since it would save you on typing, but it's not a
very discoverable feature, and it just sounds like a hack to me: "we
didn't have time to implement proper DnD on the panel so you can use
this instead".  i _almost_ think it isn't "better than nothing".  *sigh*
i'll look at it sometime this week.

    -brian